Blog from the founder of the charity Little Troopers. Military wife and mum sharing thoughts and feelings of being a British Armed Forces family.

Little Troopers is a registered charity supporting all children with parents serving in the British Armed Forces, regular or reserve. We provide fundamental resources, initiatives and events to ease and aid repeated separation periods aiming to keep parent and child connected and bonded even when miles apart

15 Oct 2013

Hohne, Germany. Same Difference, Chelsea FC and lots of Little Troopers!

It had been a long time in the planning but the time was right to take My Daddy is a Soldier Adventures to Germany, the Brigade had deployed on a nine month tour of Afghanistan and we wanted to put a smile on some little faces.

32 Engineer Regiment were fundamental in the weekend happening, without their support it would not have happened. We arranged for Sean and Sarah from Same Difference to run a Pop Academy and Chelsea FC Foundation to come with 7 coaches to run a football day.


The weekend was overwhelming in so many ways, we met so many amazing families, the warmth we were greeted with was touching. We spoke to so many people who agreed the Little Troopers need the support we provide so much and we achieved making over 230 children smile in times that are tough for them with a soldier parent away for so many months.


For me it was a weekend I will never forget, I cried some tears....the charity is growing into something I never dreamed of and to see so many benefitting makes all the hours worthwhile but also the children make me never want to give up, I want to make sure EVERY child with a British Army soldier parent(s) has the opportunity to be supported by us and our events and resources.

On Saturday a little girl come up to me and said 'I really really miss my daddy' I wanted to squeeze her tight, 'I can't bring your daddy home today but I can make sure you have an amazing day' later that day sure enough I saw the little girl skipping out the door. Mission accomplished! She had come in a sad little girl missing her daddy and for one day she forgot her worries.

The entire weekend was a total success with an extra special thank you to 32 Engr Regt who presented us with a very unexpected cheque for E1,600 from the Saturday evenings fundraising Oktoberfest which we were so grateful to receive.

We wish all the soldiers a safe tour and we hope we brought a small positive at the beginning of a long tour and we hope to see all the brave Little Troopers again very soon.

An amazing weekend in the history of My Daddy is a Soldier Adventures, one many will remember for a very long time.

Louise xx

No comments:

Post a Comment